General Ordering Information
All orders for electronic data sets must be made by written request. The Request for Electronic Data Form (Word format or PDF format) is provided for your convenience. In accordance with the Texas Public Information Act, the Railroad Commission will act upon or respond to your request within 10 business days.
Payment is required in advance. The Railroad Commission of Texas accepts payment by check, money order, or credit card. When mailing in a check or money order, please make payable to the Railroad Commission of Texas (Commission). Please call (512) 463-7254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm prices and ordering procedures. The mailing address is:
Railroad Commission of Texas
Attention: Public Sales/Electronic Data Coordinator
P.O. Box 12967
Austin, TX 78711-2967
If the information you are seeking is not available in the requested form and programming or data manipulation will be required, please submit a Public Information (Open Records) Act request via email to email@example.com to expedite processing.
Please include detailed information as to the data elements needed and the applicable date range as well as specify all other requirements you have. In addition, the e-mail should contain your contact information, including, at minimum, your daytime phone number and mailing address.
The Commission will respond to your request within 20 days (or within 30 days if we notify you in writing by the 20th day that an additional 10 days is needed) by providing you a written statement that includes an itemized estimate of the anticipated charges and an estimate of the anticipated turn around time, based on the existing backlog and available programming staff.
Please note that this estimate will reflect the amounts state agencies are required to charge for computer resources (central processing unit (CPU) time), programming/labor, and overhead, in accordance with rules adopted by the Office of the Texas Attorney General. The applicable rules are located in Title 1 of the Texas Administrative Code, Part 3, Chapter 70. You can access these rules on the Texas Secretary of State's web site at the following link: http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=4&ti=1&pt=3&ch=70&rl=Y .
According to the Public Information Act, in section 552.231(d) of the Texas Government Code, you are required to notify the Commission in writing (a reply e-mail is sufficient) within 30 days that you will accept the charges and time parameters reflected in the written estimate. Your request will be considered automatically withdrawn if we do not receive your written reply within this 30-day period. For more information, reference the agency's procedures for requesting information.
We are able to process onto the following mediums:
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Please note: FTP accounts will take up to 5 business days to create for first-time RRC FTP users.
- Compact Disk (CD)
Please specify desired media when ordering data.
The Commission's Master data is in the original EBCDIC format with all standard requirements.
Conversion of the data and choice of conversion tools is the responsibility of the user.
How to Access FTP Site:
Using Internet Explorer:
- Go to ftp://username:firstname.lastname@example.org/pub/subxxx. Replace the username with your account name (for example, subrrc) and the passwd with your password.
- Go to ftp://ftp.rrc.texas.gov/
- Click onto View on the menu bar and select Open FTP site in Windows Explorer. This may take a few minutes.
- Click onto File on the menu bar and select Login As...
- Enter username. This will be your ftp account name. For example, subrrc.
- Enter password. If you do not remember your password, please contact the Electronic Information Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Click onto Log On.
Using Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to ftp://ftp.rrc.texas.gov/. (You may also manually key the URL "ftp://username:firstname.lastname@example.org/", where "username" is your account name on our FTP site (for example, subrrc), and "passwd" is your password for our FTP site.)
The Commission complies with Federal and State laws applicable to race, religion, national origin, sex, and disability. Information is available upon request by calling TDD 1-800-735-2989 if special assistance is required.
Last Updated: 3/7/2018 3:42:35 PM