Procedure for Filing and Responding to Informal Complaints About Natural Gas Purchasing, Selling, Shipping, Transportation, or Gathering Practices
An informal complaint proceeding is initiated by filing a complaint with the Commission
The procedure does not require that legal counsel be hired to pursue resolution of a complaint.
Anonymous complaints will not be processed.
An informal complaint proceeding is initiated by filing a complaint with the Railroad Commission of Texas by:
- Calling the Commission’s Helpline at (877) 228-5740 (option 5). Commission staff will answer calls to the Helpline from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on regular Commission business days. A voice mail system will be in place to receive calls during non-business hours; OR
- Submitting a complaint in writing by:
- Mail: Director, Oversight and Safety Division, Gas Services Department, P.O. Box 12967, Austin, TX 78711-2967; or
- Fax: (512) 463-7962; or
- Online: http://www.rrc.texas.gov/gas-services/complaint-filing/informal-gas-transportation-purchase-complaint-preliminary-information-online-form/.
- Commission Staff will contact the complainant to confirm receipt of the complaint and obtain any additional information needed.
- Commission Staff will notify the respondent of the complaint by mail. The respondent’s reply is due fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of the Commission notification letter.
- The complainant and the respondent will be given fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of the respondent’s reply for informal resolution of the complaint without Commission participation.
- If the complainant and the respondent have not reached an agreement, Commission Staff shall determine, within seven (7) calendar days after expiration of the period allowed for informal resolution, whether mediation is needed.
- The Gas Services Division Director shall appoint either a Commission or non-Commission employee mediator (through agreement between the complainant and respondent) within seven (7) calendar days following the date mediation was determined to be needed.
- Within fourteen (14) calendar days of being appointed, the mediator shall review all necessary information relevant to the complaint and provide both parties with a confidential written summary of his/her review. The Commission Staff may request additional information of either party at any point in the process.
- The Commission Staff will schedule a mediation meeting within fourteen (14) days after the date of the mediator’s written summary.
- The mediation may be conducted at any location by agreement of the participants.
- The complainant and respondent are required to participate in the mediation meeting.
- Following the mediation meeting, if no resolution has been reached, the mediator will send a confidential memorandum to all parties summarizing potential next steps, which may, or may not, include, moving to the formal complaint process.
Commission Contact Information:
Railroad Commission of Texas
P.O. Box 12967
Austin, TX 78711-2967
ATTN: Market Oversight Section
Last Updated: 8/8/2017 3:02:16 PM